View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverleif Bloom

re: LK Defeat: A healer’s perspective.

Hi guys, while it’s fresh in my mind I thought I’d retell my experience from a healer’s point of view, of the fights and fall of the Lich King. I use Vuhdo for heals, Decursive for dispelling curses and poison (though druids will not see either in this fight), and Omen for threat. Needless to say (but I will) .. a threat metre is a must here for everybody. We found it extremely important, that the MT and OT retain aggro on their allocated mobs at all times. I also recommend setting your focus on Arthas so that you can always check his own focus and cast bar. For Orbs, set your range to 10 yards. Please note, the fight in this discussion covers RAID composition without any form of tranquilizer or anesthesia for Enrages.

There are 3 main phases, and two sub-phases in this fight:

Phase 1 – Fighting the LK nearer the outer ledge (usually guild specific locations), involving ghouls and horrors and the ghastly Necrotic Plague. Your MT and OT will take some big hits, you may gain the attention of ghouls and you’re responsible for Infest management. A big risk in this phase is the chance that the plague jumps to the OT and not the Horror, keep an eye out during plague transfer (All hots up, ready for spike heals).
Damage pattern: MT – OT (stays heavy with OT, due to horrors especially if enraged). Infest on RAID.
For Druids: Hots are put to good use here with Efflorescence, first on MT to heal LK damage to MT and melee, then on OT (with regrowth) for heavy Horror damage. Wild growth is perfect for Infest low damage mitigation.

Sub Phase 1 – LK will run to the centre, watch for his dash because it’ll be the sign to start making your own way to the outer platform. Stand in groups, we split out between melee, ranged and heals to minimise the affects of debuffs. Melee on Shambling Horrors carried over from Phase 1 and new Raging Spirits, ranged on Ice Spheres (Orbs). Note the Plague may still be jumping around, it should be dispelled away from the raid (call affected toon, so heals are ready).
Damage pattern: OT – Raid – MT (OT retains Horrors from P1 until death, Spirits rise and attack raid but shift to MT). Ranged will smoke Orbs, so don’t worry about those. RAID takes constant damage from Remorseless Winter and Pain and Suffering.
For Druids: Fairly lightweight healing, some spike hits will be seen if Horrors are still up. Spirits shriek for around 20k damage, which will be easily covered by all heals. Rejuv and WG, with occasional Regrowth. I still maintain LB and Rejuv on tank, for mitigation and chance that Effl is needed to heal melee group. Note that Infest disappears in this sub phase.

Phase 2 – The most challenging. LK casts Quake to shatter the outer platform, all must run in, but dodge any remaining orbs. Do not come within 10 yards of the orbs. Assigned Tank heals must immediately start HOTS or heals, as damage comes quick from LK. All of RAID stacks on Tanks, watching for Val’kyr summons. Once summoned, an assigned stun order should see to immediate immobility and gank on Valk, HOWEVER all ranged and heals start moving in separate directions in preparation for Defile. The tank can freely begin moving LK to distance them from the raid once the Valk has been summoned. Defile target (and anyone unlucky enough to be standing near them) has two seconds to jump out of the evil pool of Defile. If this doesn’t happen, it’s easily a wipe. Through all of this excitement, the three healers are concentrating mainly on the OT or MT to heal Soul Reaper damage (around 50k) (depending on current tank, watch for aggro), and throwing hots or chain heals on RAID. Infest is back in action here, but isn’t much of a problem to maintain.
Damage Pattern: Tanks (interchange), Defile victims and RAID by Infest.
For Druids: Hots are a must for the current LK tank at all times, as Efflorescence will be used constantly. Tree of Life will likely be popped in this phase, due to Defile affect and Tank damage. At times I’ve popped it at the start of phase, others towards the end, depending on how well the previous transition goes. Innervate will be used and perhaps a potion depending on how many have been caught in defile, and the welfare of your fellow healers.
In brief: Most important notes here (in order of transition): Stack middle, stun Valk’s immediately, burn Valk while spreading out for defile, repeat.

Sub Phase 1 – As above.

Phase 3 – The fight gets easier, but don’t relax too much. Defile is still here, as well as Soul Reaper on Tanks, but the Valk’s are gone. A new LK tactic, Harvest Soul, will transport a victim into Frostmourne, where a mini phase will occur. The affected toon will be inflicted low shadow damage over 6 second ticks, so it may be useful to call so that hots can be applied prior to transport in. 8 x Vile Spirits are also summoned and will burst for up to 15k shadow damage (5 yards) if they are not down after around 15 or 30 seconds (can't remember sorry). Healers, keep your distance while they’re wasted by DPS wink
For Druids: Again, hots are a must for the current LK tank and heals on Harvested toon on exit. Depending on how well the Vile Spirits are managed, Tree of Life may be needed in this all or nothing phase but mana will be at its lowest.

Mini Phase Frostmourne – Not really much to this, Healers heal Menethil to 100% as fast as you can, DPS go sick on the Spirit Warden.

Final Phase – You die. Don’t release, because you’ll miss the show ;)

Overall healing assignments: If you’re not associatively practiced or familiar with healing beside your team mates, it’s really handy to discuss assignments from the start. The major reason behind this is to develop a plan for mana management. The first two phases should see minimal mana use, though keeping the raid at 90% health or above (due to Infest debuff). As druid heals provide very good mitigation (over)heals, I assigned myself to OT from phase 1. That assignment pretty much went through to Phase 3, though LK tank switched between OT and MT regularly.

Keep your cool, manage your positions on platform and mana use well, and you will see through to the fall of the frosty King in no time. Good luck

Saorsid

re: LK

Few added notes... from a priest's point of view... assuming 10

The main things to look for are the 2 main LK phase changes.

72% slow dps on LK and get rid of the ADDS
at 70% he runs for centre to cast
pre HOT everyone for the change of position

42% slow dps on LK and get the VALK out of the way that may be still coming and then MOVE to near the edge ready - OR dps him fast so you don't get the next VALK
at 40% he runs for centre to cast

Then get ready near the edge with Divine Hymn or spam Pom, CoH and PoH for raid wide heals as people run to the edge and the tanks get placement - HOT everyone again and maybe drop a lightwell near you for people to hit as they run past

infest
pre HOT or shield everyone for the infests and you will take only minor damage but anyone who drops below 90% will start to go down very fast and if below about 70% drop a greater heal on them to overheal

Start casting renews on group as soon as infest is noted as coming then target someone in the the casting grp and ping them with a POM, a CoH and target a tank with a POH and there should be no one left to heal aside from tanks as usual

soulreaper
pre HOT and shield on SOULREAPER casts and maybe drop a GS on the tank if it does not look good

spirits spawning on you
Hit fade about 1 second after SPIRITS spawn on the casting group or you to reduce threat so they run away to a tank hopefully

Sword room
make sure you heal menethil fast - shield and renew then big heals AND then dispel the channeled spell from him when that happens. make sure you heal yourself - its easy to forget in the panic

Defile and VALK
Run in for VALK - run out for defile - but try and stay on the circle and no further out to the edge than that

the flying spirits
keep an eye on everyone... and GS the target person if needed...

Jump to: