Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trouble and Strife Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rafahad
Raider

re: Account Security - a friendly reminder

Hello folks

Chances are that you've probably heard of the little security breach Blizzard experienced last weekend. Customer information, including login emails and other account information were hacked. While this doesn't include the actual passwords attached to each account (only encrypted password files were taken - which are essentially useless without direct access to Blizzards algorithms) enough information was taken to make people nervous.

It serves as a bit of a timely reminder for people to consider account security. We all have friends or guildmates who have logged in one night to find their toons naked, destitute, and peddling their wares down in The Drag for favours or food. None of us wants to be that person.

Blizzard will be sending out reminders to people to change their passwords in the near future (if they haven't already). It is suggested that you choose a password unrelated to any other password you use online - which is fair advice. It also pays to review passwords on a regular basis - like you would at work, for example.

I would also suggest that if you haven't got one already, get an authenticator. They are easy to install and you can get either a physical authenticator keychain thingy, or as an apple/android app. Not sure if you can still get the core hound pet associated with it, but if you do you have the opportunity to use a pet in raids who's barking give me the screaming expletives. Isn't that worth it alone?

Community Service post ended. Lets stay safe out there wink
hunnybunny84
Raider

Matt and I have both already changed our passwords and we insist on authenticators! It is a good thing for everyone to use as the likelihood of getting your account hacked ever is quite low. What we're most concerned about, even though there is no evidence, is any financial information getting leaked, i.e. credit cards. Pretty scary thing right there. That and they have acquired email addresses. Keep a close eye on your bank accounts for a little while as well and notify your banks of anything suspicious. Worse thing than getting your account hacked is your own credit cards stolen.
Bey Zia

All very good points.
I would like to add a few things that you need to be aware of.

1. Never click on a link in an email.
e.g. beware of an email that will pretend to be from Blizzard talking about the security breach, i’m sure they will provide a link for you to "Change your password".
Clearly this will be a bogus email to attempt to get your password.

Quote:
Remember, the hacker did get email addresses

2. Monitor Credit card statements.
Pretty much all banks insure you against credit card fraud over the internet. If you see items on your statement that you did not purchase, contact the back immediately.

3. And as Fluffy says. If you don’t have an account authenticator. I strongly urge you to get one. Waking up naked in the Cleft of Shadows is the least of your problems. The real problem is gaining control of your account again and the time it may take blizzard to do this (from 1 to several days of "no play for you").

When an account is hacked the first thing the hacker does is
1. Change your password
2. Puts his account authenticator on it.

What you need to do if you are hacked
1. Tell blizzard
https://us.battle.net/account/support/account-recovery.html

2. Tell the guild
If you have a guildies or officers / GM's phone number. CALL THEM
Make a forum post clearly stating your account has been hacked and list the toons names you own in the guild.

First thing we do is demote to "village idiot" as this rank has no rights (Guild Chat) or bank privileges. Hackers often ask guldies for a "Loan" of gold (lots of it) OR log in details (passwords etc) and usually get it.

How to tell if a guilies account has been hacked:
1. Logged on for many hours, usually in the same zone
2. Will not (usually) respond to whispers
3. Selling all their stuff in Trade Chat
4. Suspicious behaviour

If you are suspicious of a guild account, Log a ticket and tell blizzard. Chances are high they will act on it and suspend the account pending verification from the owner.

Hackers can cause untold damage to the guild and its other members as well as the person that was hacked...

Be vigilant and use common sense, If you think a person has been hacked due to "Odd" behaviour, chances are you are you are correct.
[/u]

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trouble and Strife Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum